Food Services: Sanitary Food Wrapping
November 29, 2021
Sanitary food packaging is an essential part of the food service industry. No matter whether you own a butcher shop, a deli, fast food restaurant or farmers market, you need to make sure that your customers always get hygienically packaged food. In this blog we discuss the different options and the tools you need to ensure you always provide the best in sanitary food packaging.
The right Food Wrapping Paper
Butcher Paper & Kraft Paper
Butcher and Kraft paper are solid paper types, which are ideal for wrapping meat and fish. Butcher paper has the advantage of combining aesthetic and food safety, which makes it the ideal solution for butchers and fishmongers.
Freezer paper keeps the food’s moisture in and the air out, which prevents freezer burns and maintains freshness. Therefore, it is the ideal solution for fresh fish and poultry but also works great for cheese, sandwiches, wraps and similar deli and bakery products. This makes it a great choice for all types of food services such as delis, butchers, cheese traders and bakeries.
Wax paper, as the name suggests, is treated with wax, which prevents items from sticking to the paper. For this reason, it is a great choice for wrapping cheese. The wax paper keeps the food fresh and prevents it from drying out or even getting contaminated.
The Perfect Tools for your Business
In addition to choosing the right wrapping paper, using the right tools is important for a hygienic food wrapping. Here we summarised some helpful tools for an easy and hygienic wrapping process for you:
Paper Roll Cutters
Paper roll cutters are a sanitary solution for wrapping materials. In contrast to pre-sheeted paper, paper racks and cutters conveniently hold the rolls, and paper can be dispensed easily, without it flying around in your restaurant or shop at busy times! Bulman is proud to provide the world’s most popular paper dispensers and cutters for butcher paper, cling wrap, wax paper, foil and film. Here is a selection of our top paper cutters for food services:
Our Stainless-Steel Paper Dispenser is specially designed for use in food processing, fast food, meat, poultry and similar areas in the food industry. The Paper Dispenser provides a rust-free, sanitary dispensing of food wrapping paper.
Three High Wall Rack Paper Cutter
If you need more than one paper type, Bulman’s Three High Wall Rack Paper Cutter is the ideal choice. It is easy to assemble and can be mounted on the wall. Bulman Wall Rack Paper Cutters are convenient space savers and provide you with the maximum flexibility and ease in roll loading, dispensing, and cutting.
Last but not least, we have some final tips you should keep in mind to ensure you keep the highest hygienic standards in your shop or restaurant:
- Wash your hands (or use gloves) before touching any food and after touching raw meat.
- Don’t forget to clean and disinfect all surfaces before you start working, but also in between to avoid contamination.
- Try to use different tools for raw meat and cooked meat or ready meals. You don’t want the other food to get infected.
- As well as different tools, you should also try and use different cleaning rags and sponges for the different storage and work areas.
- Vacuum packaging is also a great method of packaging raw meat, as it increases the shelf life of the product which won’t get bad too fast.
- Train your employees! Show them how to maintain hygiene in the workplace and which tools to use for which food/area of your business.